Barbecue U Course Recipes
Raising the Steaks
- 6 Roma or garden tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1/2 large yellow or red onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped or crushed
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
- Pinch of cumin
- 1 dollop of fresh honey
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
Cut and mix all ingredients and place in a bowl. Refrigerate until dinner.
Flank Steak with Grilled Pineapple Salsa
- Flank steak
- 1 pineapple, cored and skinned
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lime, squeezed and used for zest
- 1 tbsp. honey or maple syrup
- Salt and pepper to taste
Score the flank steak and rub with oil, salt and pepper. Set aside and let rest.
Remove pineapple skin and core. Cut into 1 inch pieces and place on hot grill until grill marks are visible. Do the same to the other side. Once cooked, place in a bowl and let rest.
Dice the pineapple and other ingredients and place into bowl, add other ingredients and mix.
Place steak on hot grill and cook to no more then a medium rare. Once the steak has rested for 10 mins., slice against the grain and top with salsa.
Picanha with Pico de Gallo
- 1–2 lbs. sirloin cap
- 3/4 lbs. tomatoes (about 2 medium), seeded and finely diced (makes 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 small fresh jalapeno or serrano chili, finely chopped, including seeds, or more to taste
- 1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice, or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp. fine salt, or 1 tsp. kosher salt
Lightly cover the picanha with olive oil, salt and pepper, grill to a nice rare over a hot grill and let rest. Cut the steak so there’s a piece of the fat cap on each slice.
Mix all remaining ingredients in a bowl. Season to taste with additional chili, lime juice, and salt. This salsa keeps in the refrigerator for up to one day. Before you serve it, stir well and drain any excess liquid that has accumulated in the bowl.
Smoked Ribeye with Bourbon Sauce
- Rib roast
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 2 oz. maple syrup
- 2 oz. bourbon
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 2 shallots
- Olive oil
- Smoking chips or pellets
Place the rib roast on the top rack of the barbecue. Light the chips or pellets underneath it using a smoking box or smoking maze.
Sautée onions and garlic in oil. Add bourbon to deglaze the pan, leaving a bit of liquid for the sauce. Add tomatoes and cook until they start to stew. Add maple syrup and reduce.
After 20 mins. of smoking the rib roast, cut into steaks and place on the barbecue, cooking to your desired preference. Cut the steak into strips and top with sauce.
Stone Baked Pizza
- 3 cups flour
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. yeast
- Goat cheese
- Saffron oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Combine all ingredients in a bowl, mix well with hands and let sit in a warm place for a half hour.
Once the dough has risen, roll it out to personal sizes and place goat cheese, artichoke, saffron oil, salt and pepper. Place on pizza stone and cook till the bottom is browned.